Rocko’s Modern Life: Static Cling centers on Rocko and his friends as they return to earth after being lost in space for twenty-two years. While Heffer and Filburt embrace every aspect of the new time period, such as all the new technology, social media and the endless diversity of food from things like food trucks, Rocko has a much harder time adjusting to the new time period, even to the point of suffering from future shock.
Cast and Characters
- Carlos Alazraqui - Rocko, Spunky, Leon Chameleon
- Tom Kenny - Heffer Wolfe, Chuck Chameleon, Really Really Big Man
- Mr. Lawrence - Filburt, Maitre D'
- Charlie Adler - Ed & Bev Bighead, Mr. Dupette, Grandpa Wolfe, Mr. & Mrs. Fathead
- Linda Wallem - Crazy Aunt Gretchen, Dr. Hutchison
- Joe Murray - Ralph Bighead
- Jill Talley - Nosey, Schlam-O Saleswoman
- Steve Little - Cowboy
- Cosmo Serguson - Pillow Salesman
- Sam Elliott - General Lewis
- Norm Macdonald - Private Kirkpatrick
- Dan Becker - Rabbit Dad
Although production of the special was confirmed to be finished on February 2018, as of today, nothing has been confirmed of a release date. On September 24, 2018, Murray gave a slight update about the lack of news surrounding the special's release, stating that he was "sworn to secrecy". Earlier that same month, in reply to a tweet about the same topic, Murray stated that there were "actually some thing [sic] going on behind the scenes that I think everyone will be happy about that is delaying the airing of the special."
However, on February 4, 2019, Joe Murray responded to queries about the whereabouts of the film on Facebook, saying that he is "praying that Nickelodeon haven't abandoned the film" due to the many executive changes the company has had during the past year, and also stated he has not heard anything about a set release date since.
On May 10, 2019, Viacom president Robert Bakish announced that Netflix has acquired the distribution rights to Rocko's Modern Life: Static Cling and confirmed three days later it would premiere in Summer 2019.
- As evidenced by the Conglom-O rocket still stuck in Rocko's house, this appears to take place some time after Future Schlock.
- Tammy the Pig, the annoying kid from Jet Scream, the Immigration Council guy from Kiss Me I'm Foreign, Mr. Noway, and Peaches make non-speaking cameos.
- The O-Store is a parody of the Apple Store.
- Buzzbucks is a parody of Starbucks Coffee, right down to the jokes about one being on every corner.
- Buzzbucks was originally a building from Frog In A Suit.
- Scoutmaster Lumpus from Murray's other series Camp Lazlo can be seen behind the Bigheads' house under the "Schlam-o" sign in the reveal shot of O-Town.
- Heffer: We're home!
- (Rocko, Heffer, Filburt and Spunky run around Rocko's front yard.)
- Filburt: Let's frolic innocently in nature!
- Rocko: Um, fellas?
- Heffer and Filburt: Yeah?
- Rocko: I don't think we're in the '90s anymore.
- Heffer: Check it out! I got the new O-Phone 8!
- Filburt: Big whoop. I got the new O-Phone 9!
- Rocko: This is a phone? Where are all the buttons?
- Heffer: Whoa! This food truck's got pizza tacos!
- Filburt: I got a wiener taco!
- Heffer: I got a taco taco, inside another taco!
- Filburt: What did you get, Rocko?
- Rocko: Food poisoning.
- Rocko: The 21st century is a very dangerous century.